Username Password: Remember me

58 or 60 tooth chainring
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: 58 or 60 tooth chainring

58 or 60 tooth chainring 7 years, 3 months ago #17562

• mcw2109
  • Gold Boarder
Where can I find one of these? I've googled it to the max... anyone know?

Re: 58 or 60 tooth chainring 7 years, 3 months ago #17564

• gregclimbs
  • Platinum Boarder
why so large?

curious.

g
wattagetraining.com

Re: 58 or 60 tooth chainring 7 years, 3 months ago #17566

• mcw2109
  • Gold Boarder
rolling course at Nats, gotta put the power to the pedals down the hills too.

Re: 58 or 60 tooth chainring 7 years, 3 months ago #17567

• bikedude
  • Expert Boarder
Hey mcw
you can spin out a 54 or 56/11? a 53/11 spin's out at about 42mph, and what kind of small ring will you have to run?
the Pro's don't use ring that big.
Dan...

Re: 58 or 60 tooth chainring 7 years, 3 months ago #17568

• jkheycke
  • Platinum Boarder
The biggest grade on that course is .39 miles at 5.2%. Let's use that as a case in point:

Suppose you max out your 53x11 at 110 rpm. That's 42mph and would only take about 150 watts. Now with the 58x11 you could go 45mph with about 293 watts. Time saving: 2 seconds. Actually it's a lot less than that, because in both cases you're not hitting that top speed until the very bottom of the hill. So to save that 1-2 seconds, you've used nearly twice as much power -- which will leave you with less for the next uphill.

Do yourself a favor and stick with a 53. It will keep you from using your power injudiciously.

--jens

Re: 58 or 60 tooth chainring 7 years, 3 months ago #17569

• mcw2109
  • Gold Boarder
Using a lower cadence than 90 on flat land always increases my power substantially. On the last hill coming back at Gila, a 56x11 was completely useless and I literally did not pedal for about half of it. If that happens at Nats, I can consider my result worthless. I know there isn't a hill like that at Nat's but if there is a tailwind on a decent, a big cookie is going to help for sure.

58 or 60 7 years, 3 months ago #17570

• boots2000
  • Expert Boarder
I will gladly sell you a 58 if you promise to use it.
Yes, a 58 is good for the downhills when you are pushing the 58x11- it sucks for everything else. Chainline goes bad in a hurry, jumps between gears are bigger, and you will need to do more double shifting.
Also, you really need to run a big inner like a 45-48.
You also run the risk of burning up your legs on the downhills and going slower on the flats and climbs because of it.

Re: 58 or 60 tooth chainring 7 years, 3 months ago #17573

• Claudin11
  • Fresh Boarder
My 30 second man at Elkhorn was running an old school TT bike (24" wheel and all) with a 63t up front. He also had a plywood disc. I can't even make stuff like this up. It was so sweet.

Re: 58 or 60 tooth chainring 7 years, 3 months ago #17679

• slowpoke
  • Fresh Boarder
whats your name so we can google your name after nats and see if your result was worthless or not.

Re: 58 or 60 tooth chainring 7 years, 3 months ago #17682

• mcw2109
  • Gold Boarder
Matt Weyen

1st placed amateur in the Cascade TT in 2006, hows that for a result?

Re: 58 or 60 tooth chainring 7 years, 3 months ago #17683

• gray8110
  • Junior Boarder
mcw2109 wrote:
Matt Weyen

If you're riding Cascade this year, I'd think you might want the bigger ring for that TT more than Seven Springs. It has a 7 mile descent - not steep, but not slow either. I've ridden the shorter version of that TT a couple times (High Desert Omnium) and needed a more than 53x11 on the descent. I've never even considered getting a bigger ring and seem to do OK for myself in TTs, but Cascade has me debating a 55 or 56.

Re: 58 or 60 tooth chainring 7 years, 3 months ago #17686

• A Finn
  • Expert Boarder
For Campa / 135mm up to 61T:

http://www.parker-international.co.uk/P ... eb9f8518d2

For Shimano / 130mm up to 61T:

Cheers!

A Finn

Re: 58 or 60 tooth chainring 7 years, 3 months ago #17688

• AFM
  • Platinum Boarder
A Finn wrote:
For Campa / 135mm up to 61T:

For Shimano / 130mm up to 61T:

Cheers!

A Finn

Unfortunately Parker doesn't ship to the US. Too bad - they have a lot of good stuff at very good prices - I used to order a lot from them.

Re: 58 or 60 tooth chainring 7 years, 3 months ago #17689

• bikeage
  • Senior Boarder
mcw2109 wrote:

If you need Shimano bolt circle, try the SRM Service Center in CO Springs.

[url:2u3jlocz]www.srm.de/usa/index.html[/url]

Regards, Jason
The SRM Experts
<a class="postlink" href="www.thebikeage.com">http://www.thebikeage.com

Re: 58 or 60 tooth chainring 7 years, 3 months ago #17690

• A Finn
  • Expert Boarder
Oops, didn't check for it, just saw the currency conventer for USD. Well, there IS one shop in Germany

http://bike-components.de/catalog/Road/ ... lter_id=52

that I have ordered TA / Campa chainwheels, but it took some time. It says: Delivery status: available in about 2-7 days, but sometimes it may take for about a month actually. Don't know if they deliver to USA but they DO have USA in their account list for country selection!

http://bike-components.de/catalog/create_account.php

This "firma" or "laden" has about the lowest overall prices of the whole EU region.

for 60T:Campa 46€, Shimano ~59€

Re: 58 or 60 tooth chainring 7 years, 3 months ago #17691

• Xav
  • Expert Boarder
Might be worth asking http://www.highpath.co.uk if they'll ship to the USA? They can cut you a custom one of any size/finish etc.

Xav

Re: 58 or 60 tooth chainring 7 years, 3 months ago #17695

• sjdocman
  • Senior Boarder
If you need a UK resident to buy it and ship it out to you,let me know

but,mdt seem to ship out and have up to 67 tooth 'rings.......
http://www.mdt-products.co.uk/products/ ... clipse.htm

Re: 58 or 60 tooth chainring 7 years, 3 months ago #17699

• peterpen
  • Expert Boarder
gray8110 wrote:
mcw2109 wrote:
Matt Weyen

If you're riding Cascade this year, I'd think you might want the bigger ring for that TT more than Seven Springs. It has a 7 mile descent - not steep, but not slow either. I've ridden the shorter version of that TT a couple times (High Desert Omnium) and needed a more than 53x11 on the descent. I've never even considered getting a bigger ring and seem to do OK for myself in TTs, but Cascade has me debating a 55 or 56.

What was your speed & rpm's on the return leg of the HDO TT? I spin my 53x11 out around 41mph, which I figured would be enough for the Cascade TT, but you have me wondering...

Re: 58 or 60 tooth chainring 7 years, 3 months ago #17700

• jkheycke
  • Platinum Boarder
I drove the course this morning and was struck that the grades are much subtler than the Delorme map software shows. I think Delorme doesn't reflect the road grading. The one 5% grade seems like a lot less than that and it definitely does not have the little 8% and 9% sections that Delorme shows. I would be very surprised if you needed a 56, let alone a 58 or 60

Keep in mind, you have a hairpin turn on the freeway offramp just after the start, and then 3 more turnarounds. You need a setup that's going to allow you to shift chainrings quickly and cleanly for these. I went for a 53/42. Though now that I've seen it, I'm wishing for a 45/53.

-jens

Re: 58 or 60 tooth chainring 7 years, 3 months ago #17701

• critsuck
  • Expert Boarder
jkheycke wrote:

Keep in mind, you have a hairpin turn on the freeway offramp just after the start, and then 3 more turnarounds.

-jens

What was your impression of the speed you could carry through this hairpin? Could you stay in the aerobars or not?

Re: 58 or 60 tooth chainring 7 years, 3 months ago #17702

• critsuck
  • Expert Boarder
Also, those of you that have driven the course: do you think athletes on Junior Gearing (52X14 or 45X12 are the most commonly used) are going to be significantly spun out on the downgrades? Will their be sections where it would be better to just tuck and coast?

Re: 58 or 60 tooth chainring 7 years, 3 months ago #17703

• gray8110
  • Junior Boarder
peterpen wrote:

What was your speed & rpm's on the return leg of the HDO TT? I spin my 53x11 out around 41mph, which I figured would be enough for the Cascade TT, but you have me wondering...

I didn't have speed that day so I was looking exclusively at cadence. I was over 100rpm virtually the whole time and seeing peaks above 120. I caught two guys on the descent. If Sheldon Brown's gear cal is accurate, 100rpm is 37.5mph on a 700x20 tire - 120 is 45. I just need something that'll fill that middle ground. I don't "spin-out" until 130rpm which is REALLY fast in a 53x11, but having the luxury of a more reasonable cadence.. 100 instead of 110 is a good thing.

Re: 58 or 60 tooth chainring 7 years, 3 months ago #17704

• jkheycke
  • Platinum Boarder
critsuck wrote:
jkheycke wrote:

Keep in mind, you have a hairpin turn on the freeway offramp just after the start, and then 3 more turnarounds.

-jens

What was your impression of the speed you could carry through this hairpin? Could you stay in the aerobars or not?

No way you could stay on the aerobars. You are going off an offramp and the immediately turning 170 degrees and getting back on an onramp on the same side. It's basically an additional turnaround.

I would imagine you could hit 35 or 36 mph on a few parts, but not for very long. Unless there's a lot of wind I can't imagine going much faster than that.

-jens

Re: 58 or 60 tooth chainring 7 years, 3 months ago #17722

• critsuck
  • Expert Boarder
jkheycke wrote:
critsuck wrote:
jkheycke wrote:

-jens

No way you could stay on the aerobars. You are going off an offramp and the immediately turning 170 degrees and getting back on an onramp on the same side. It's basically an additional turnaround.

I would imagine you could hit 35 or 36 mph on a few parts, but not for very long. Unless there's a lot of wind I can't imagine going much faster than that.

-jens

Thanks. And good luck to all competing today.

Re: 58 or 60 tooth chainring 7 years ago #18963

• Dreadnought
  • Senior Boarder
mcw2109 wrote:

http://www.thethirdhand.com/Products/LS-11060.html
  • Page:
Time to create page: 1.83 seconds

Poll

Which type of tire is more aerodynamic?