BikeTechReview.com

• Increase font size
  • Default font size
  • Decrease font size
Home Forum
Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

Least amount of drag for computer placement?
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Least amount of drag for computer placement?

Least amount of drag for computer placement? 8 years, 4 months ago #25150

OK, I have my computer currently mounted on my stem, its a Garmin Forerunner 305. The issue I have is I need to look down to see it. Bring the back of my aero helmet up. The bars I have are the Syntace C3's. Syntace makes a mount although it looks like it would catch more wind over my current set up. (See pictures below) Although tipping up the back of my helmet isn't very aero either.

So what do you think? Leave it where its at or use the Syntace mount,wear it on wrist or mount it on the right hand side of the bar in front of the pad on my C3's?

Re: Least amount of drag for computer placement? 8 years, 4 months ago #25155

• kraig
  • Administrator
I think that a good head position is such that one has to kind of "try" in order to see down the road. Personally, I do this by looking out the tops of my eye sockets - if I relax, i'm pretty much looking at my front hub.

Also, it seems like one could glance down and see what one's speed is, or whatever it is that you look at on the computer, without moving your head. Try it the next time you are out on the road. The looking down thing just might take a bit of practice?

Furthermore, it used to be that sticking the tail of your helmet up in the air was supposed to be faster:

http://web.archive.org/web/200212031652 ... _flow.html
-kraig

Re: Least amount of drag for computer placement? 8 years, 4 months ago #25160

• jeremy
  • Expert Boarder
related to this, anyone have any info about what wireless computer is the most aero ---- I'm thinking about the pickup sensor that mounts to the fork. Does one standout?

edit: after some research, I'm thinking Cateye Strada double wireless, where the speed sensor is mounted on the chainstay. Air should be much dirtier back there than on the fork.

Re: Least amount of drag for computer placement? 8 years, 2 months ago #25473

• wasfast
  • Senior Boarder
The low cost method I've seen used instead of buying the Syntace "stub" is to suspend the computer between the aerobars with a pair of tiewraps. In your case, the computer is going to be on top of the aerobars some I think since the opening is narrower than the computer. That shouldn't be a big downside though as your arms are close enough together to shelter the computer.

Re: Least amount of drag for computer placement? 8 years, 2 months ago #25474

• SteveP
  • Expert Boarder
wasfast wrote:
The low cost method I've seen used instead of buying the Syntace "stub" is to suspend the computer between the aerobars with a pair of tiewraps. In your case, the computer is going to be on top of the aerobars some I think since the opening is narrower than the computer. That shouldn't be a big downside though as your arms are close enough together to shelter the computer.

I use a similar approach. I use a double-sided velco band adhered to and spanning the extensions between my wrists. I place an adherrent velco tab on the back on my cpu. Voila - a nice spot that is wind shielded and does not require a change of head position to view the cpu.

Re: Least amount of drag for computer placement? 8 years, 2 months ago #25476

• JV
  • Platinum Boarder
My neighbor chopped about 4cm off his carbon P3 (not P3C) seatpost, that's going to become where I mount my PT CPU. Thinking of even gluing the CPU mount onto the carbon.

Re: Least amount of drag for computer placement? 8 years, 2 months ago #25477

• JScott
  • Expert Boarder
I don't have any pictures, but I once did a homemade "nob"-style mount for my PT CPU with a couple inches of PVC conduit and 2 zip ties. I drilled holes in the PVC with a hand drill for the zip ties, Dremel'ed a contour in the conduit so it had lots of contact with the aero bar, and then secured it to my left aero bar extension so that the CPU was just aft of my wrists. It looked pretty ghetto but allowed me to see the CPU without moving my head much.

You might be able to use carbon fork steerer or seatpost remnant instead of PVC.

JLS
Just name a hero and I'll prove he's a bum.
-- Gregory Boyington

Re: Least amount of drag for computer placement? 8 years, 2 months ago #25480

• Nicko
  • Expert Boarder
I put my PT CPU in front of the stem face so that it does'n add any frontal area. I replaced the two bottom M5 screws with longer ones that clamp the stem face via 8mm sleeves/tubes. I zip-tie the CPU mount to those sleeves. Maybe something similar can be made to a "transverse" mount?
[attachment=0:10tketle]<!-- ia0 stem_bolts.JPG<!-- ia0 [/attachment:10tketle]
'The purpose of computing is insight, not numbers', Hammings motto
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.74 seconds

Poll

Which type of tire is more aerodynamic?