modded my Vision basebars
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: modded my Vision basebars

modded my Vision basebars 8 years, 3 months ago #25283

• jeremy
  • Expert Boarder
For all the non ST'rs:

Just thought I'd share a project I did last week and made the brake levers inline with the wing:

if you look close you can see another mod to these bars (but I'm not ready to talk about that one yet )

Re: modded my Vision basebars 8 years, 3 months ago #25305

• kraig
  • Administrator
Nice!

Keep those mod's safe, eh? )

I don't want to hear about you breaking any bars, or running into any cars/curbs, OK? )
-kraig

Re: modded my Vision basebars 8 years, 3 months ago #25312

• DMC
  • Platinum Boarder
Not to spoil the fun, but what are the chances that the gap between brake and bar is big enough that the this would give zero drag saving over having the brakes in their normal downward position?

Much nicer cable routing though!

Re: modded my Vision basebars 8 years, 2 months ago #25450

• chicanery
  • Expert Boarder
I've tried this and similar mods in several configurations. It doesn't decrease drag in either front or rear facing configuration UNTIL you put them around back and use the properly sized tube to create a nice airfoil shape when the levers are not being used.

Chris

Re: modded my Vision basebars 8 years, 2 months ago #25479

• sjudice
  • Senior Boarder
chicanery wrote:
I've tried this and similar mods in several configurations. It doesn't decrease drag in either front or rear facing configuration UNTIL you put them around back and use the properly sized tube to create a nice airfoil shape when the levers are not being used.

Chris

Im not quite sure I understand what is meant by 'around back'. Could you elaborate?

Re: modded my Vision basebars 8 years, 2 months ago #25485

• kraig
  • Administrator
chicanery wrote:

Chris

I guess I'm just not as comfortable as you are when it comes to speaking in absolutes about these sorts of things.

Personally, I think it's possible that doing what jeremy has done is an improvement from an aerodynamic perspective.

YMMV,

-k
-kraig

Re: modded my Vision basebars 8 years, 2 months ago #25494

• Jack Watts
  • Platinum Boarder
kraig wrote:
chicanery wrote:

Chris

I guess I'm just not as comfortable as you are when it comes to speaking in absolutes about these sorts of things.

Personally, I think it's possible that doing what jeremy has done is an improvement from an aerodynamic perspective.

YMMV,

-k

umm....yeah....what you said
When talking about potential gains like this, i.e. very small, I'm inclined to go with the eyeball windtunnel and intuition in absence of windtunnel data.

Kraig, I know you asked me before WRT field testing 'what sort of difference would you have to see to trust the data'. All I can really say is 'bigger than a brake lever...' A slightly more serious and long-winded answer would be 'if I'm doing something that is counter-intuitive and goes against what is 'generally accepted', I'd probably need a bigger delta. So my answer would be 'it depends'. Regardless, trying to pick up aerodynamics of brake lever position via field testing seems a bit of 'dollar bill on a truck scale' to me.

My right lever is set up similar to Jeremy's (but a little sketchier), and while I've never tried to quantify any benefit, I will say that a long as you're using a decent brake caliper, the braking is just fine.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.50 seconds

Poll

Which type of tire is more aerodynamic?