• Default font size
  • Decrease font size
Home Forum
Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

Hed Stinger Disc - Any users out there?
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Hed Stinger Disc - Any users out there?

Hed Stinger Disc - Any users out there? 8 years, 2 months ago #25478

• toddmanley
  • Fresh Boarder
Hello-

Most of the people I've come across have been using aero covers or Zipp discs. I'm interested to hear about the performance of the Stinger disc from any of you that run this on your TT setup.

-Thanks, Todd

Re: Hed Stinger Disc - Any users out there? 8 years, 2 months ago #25484

• kraig
  • Administrator
toddmanley wrote:
Hello-

Most of the people I've come across have been using aero covers or Zipp discs. I'm interested to hear about the performance of the Stinger disc from any of you that run this on your TT setup.

-Thanks, Todd

what kind of performance are you looking to get feedback on? I'm not familiar with the stinger disc, but maybe if you specify what you are after a bit more we might be able to provide some info.
-kraig

Re: Hed Stinger Disc - Any users out there? 8 years, 2 months ago #25488

• toddmanley
  • Fresh Boarder
Just looking to quench my general curiosity around this disc. I don't see many of them out there, and when I do I think to myself, "Hmm, I wonder why they're riding that and not a Zipp." I just guess I've seen so many Zipp's out there that when I see something different it raises my curiosity level.

If we start talking about specifics, I'm probably most particularly interested in the aero properties and stiffness of the wheel. Given my size (6'9", 190lbs) stiffness always comes into the discussion.

Re: Hed Stinger Disc - Any users out there? 8 years, 2 months ago #25492

• bikedude
  • Expert Boarder
I think you have been seeing them under most of the Columbia riders all season. And take a look at hed’s website and play with the aero cart it looks to be a bit faster than the zipp and cost less to boot!
I had one in my hand at interbike and it looks and feels like a very nice wheel and I feel Hed know what they’re doing.
And I think that Hed was the first to use the “rim” bulge on a disk.
http://www.hedcycling.com/aerodynamics_technology/
Dan…

Re: Hed Stinger Disc - Any users out there? 8 years, 2 months ago #25495

• JV
  • Platinum Boarder
One of the bigger guys I TT against locally uses one and loves it, he may be close to 190lbs. I think stiffness-wise it may be a good choice, since it's a regular spoked wheel with a carbon cover, you can get one with more and thicker spokes...built for your size. I think Hed calls this a "Stallion build", weighs a bit more but perhaps better for bigger riders.

Re: Hed Stinger Disc - Any users out there? 8 years, 1 month ago #25501

• ypsylon
  • Fresh Boarder
I think that's the Jet disc. The Stinger seems to be a structural disc wheel with no spokes.

I've seen a Stinger disc in a p3c where a sub 9 supposedly doesn't always fit, so that might be a reason.

Re: Hed Stinger Disc - Any users out there? 8 years, 1 month ago #25503

• JV
  • Platinum Boarder
ypsylon wrote:
I think that's the Jet disc. The Stinger seems to be a structural disc wheel with no spokes.

You are correct! I gots confused...

Re: Hed Stinger Disc - Any users out there? 8 years, 1 month ago #25508

• anthros
  • Junior Boarder
JV wrote:
ypsylon wrote:

You are correct! I gots confused...

It's not clear to me that the Stinger disk doesn't also use spokes. The Hed site mentions spokes for the Jet disk and not for the Stinger disk, but I still suspect the Stinger disk uses spokes; the weights are too close. Here's what I mean:

All weights are as claimed by Hed.
Jet disk, clincher: 1250g
Stinger disk: 1040g
Difference: 210g

Jet 90 rear, clincher: 1026g
Stinger 90 rear: 832g
Difference: 194g

The difference between the disks weights and the non-disk weights is only 16 grams. To me, this strongly implies that (a) both disks use a carbon skin over spokes, and (b) the skin adds about 200g no matter which wheel it's applied to.

Obviously, this question can be answered directly by someone who has actually seen the Stinger disk...anyone? I'd love to be wrong on this.

Cheers,

Jason

Re: Hed Stinger Disc - Any users out there? 8 years, 1 month ago #25513

• Grumpy
  • Fresh Boarder
The FedEx guy dropped one off at my house today.

Here is what I know so far.
1. It is a spoked wheel. Basically a stinger 9 with a cover. Supposedly the cover makes it stiffer, so it is "structural".
2. It fits my Spec. Transition with room to spare.
3. It is amazingly light. Compared to my Renn 575, it feels like a feather (so does my wallet though)
4. Here is the weird thing. I e-mailed HED and asked if the disc or the Stinger 9 would fit a Transition. The response was that all the discs fit, but the Stinger has to be specially built. It makes me think that maybe they use a slightly narrower hub on the the disc.
5. My reasons getting one are two-fold. First, last year when I did the wind tunnel I didn't try different wheels, but the was told that the lenticular disc usually works well and tends to be an improvement over a flat disc. Given that Columbia rides both Zipp and Hed wheels, but they choose to run the Stinger disc makes me think that they probably came to the same conclusion. The second is cost. I just can't justify the price of a Zipp for something I ride maybe 12 times a year. Hed seems to do make a good product at about 60% of the cost.

Re: Hed Stinger Disc - Any users out there? 8 years, 1 month ago #25516

• anthros
  • Junior Boarder
Thanks for filling us in, Grumpy. FWIW, I suspect the Hed disks are just as slippery as the Zipp variations. Your point about Columbia's wheel choice supports this. Also, IMHO Steve Hed has been more forthcoming with data than Zipp and less inclined to marketing hyperbole. As a data-oriented guy, I just prefer giving my money to Hed.

Once you ride your new disk, I've got one final question: how does the Stinger disk sound? The 15-year-old junior in me has always loved the steady rumble of a disk wheel at speed...does your Stinger make that sound? If not, what sound (if any) does it make? Everybody knows that you can't go fast unless you sound fast.

Thanks again,

Jason

Edit: added speculation about spoking patterns; then took a look at Hed's rear hub, realized speculation made no sense given Hed's hub design and then deleted speculation.

Re: Hed Stinger Disc - Any users out there? 8 years, 1 month ago #25517

• Grumpy
  • Fresh Boarder
I don't have tires yet, so I won't be rolling on them for a bit. If I had to speculate, there is about a 0% chance of sneaking up on anyone. The deep hollow rim and tensioned side should howl like crazy.

P.S. I sent a message to Hed regarding tire width for the disc/stinger 9 combo. I had heard some conflicting advice for a 21 v 23. They suggested 23's on the front and back.

Re: Hed Stinger Disc - Any users out there? 8 years, 1 month ago #25518

• AFM
  • Platinum Boarder
Grumpy wrote:
I don't have tires yet, so I won't be rolling on them for a bit. If I had to speculate, there is about a 0% chance of sneaking up on anyone. The deep hollow rim and tensioned side should howl like crazy.

P.S. I sent a message to Hed regarding tire width for the disc/stinger 9 combo. I had heard some conflicting advice for a 21 v 23. They suggested 23's on the front and back.

Andy (HedTech) replied to my email indicating a Vittoria CX 21 was used on the Stinger rims (C2) whose data is shown on their website. I used the RXL Pro on my Stinger 9 C2 front and Jet C2 disc. The RXL Pro is the ~ the same width ~ 21.5 mm as the Vittoria CX 21. No problem on the disc but on the Stinger 9 front the tire rotated a bit in the wide tire well so that one side of the tire wasn't well glued - had to use a strap clamp to fix it. Haven't had any similar problems nor heard of any one else having the same problem but something to look for.

Re: Hed Stinger Disc - Any users out there? 8 years, 1 month ago #25519

• wasfast
  • Senior Boarder
On my Stinger 90, wider rim but not sure if it's as wide as the C2, a Veloflex Servizio Corsa (21) didn't match the rim well at all. The tire was not wide enough to cover the rim properly. The rim strip was considerably inside the edges. I opted to use a Veloflex Criterium (23) which was a much better match. Based on this, I understand Hed's comments about 23 being "more aero".

Re: Hed Stinger Disc - Any users out there? 8 years, 1 month ago #25520

• Grumpy
  • Fresh Boarder
While a Veloflex Record sounds great, I am just not comfortable using anything that light. Some of the TT routes we have here are fairly rough and the state TT course has lots of frost cracking,

I am sort of gravitating to a pair of Zipp Tangentes 23. I figure they are basically Vittorias, which have been my default choice for tubulars, and I suppose the dimples are supposed to make the tire "look" more elliptical.

I guess I should coug up the $$ for the BTR tire test and see if the Tangente's really deliver

Re: Hed Stinger Disc - Any users out there? 8 years, 1 month ago #25521

• AFM
  • Platinum Boarder
Grumpy wrote:
While a Veloflex Record sounds great, I am just not comfortable using anything that light. Some of the TT routes we have here are fairly rough and the state TT course has lots of frost cracking,

I am sort of gravitating to a pair of Zipp Tangentes 23. I figure they are basically Vittorias, which have been my default choice for tubulars, and I suppose the dimples are supposed to make the tire "look" more elliptical.

I guess I should coug up the $$ for the BTR tire test and see if the Tangente's really deliver

Sounds like Sattley . The Zipps are Vittorias as well as the Bontragers and Specialized - curiously the Vittorias don't roll quite as well as the rebadged tires they maKe.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.72 seconds

Poll

Which type of tire is more aerodynamic?