Home Forum
Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

CRR for Conti Grand Prix 4-Season 700x23C
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: CRR for Conti Grand Prix 4-Season 700x23C

CRR for Conti Grand Prix 4-Season 700x23C 8 years, 1 month ago #25511

I am looking for accurate CRR data for the Conti Grand Prix 4-Season 700x23C. Here is what I found so far, but I am not satisfied it is the final word:
1) The Continental site indicates that the tire is based on the GP 3000. But I don't know the improvements/differences. Also, there are size differences. Therefore assuming the results for the GP 3000 apply to the GP 4-Season is sketchy.
2) The following link says that the GP 3000 has a CRR of 0.0067: [url:2mczr9wq]biketechreview.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f...=+Season+conti#p7689[/url].
3) Rev 8 of the test data on Bike Tech Review indicates the Conti GP 3000 (20)/Butyl Tube has CRR of 0.00488: [url:2mczr9wq]www.biketechreview.com/tires/images/AFM_tire_testing_rev8.pdf[/url].
4) The following link indicates that the RennRad Magazine test about four years ago tested the Conti GP 4-Season, but the details on the tire & tube are not provided, and the results are not comparable to other tests: [url:2mczr9wq]biketechreview.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f...=+Season+conti#p6478[/url]. I could not find the actual test on the RennRad site and I don't speak German in any case!

Seems to me it would be valuable for many cyclists to know the real CRR for this tire (the 4-Season 700-23C) because it is extends the riding season permitting more training days. I used these tires last winter with success, but then switched back to normal tires (Conti GP 4000S 700x23C) when the rain stopped. It would be great to know the CRR in the case of both butyl and latex tubes. I say this because, if there is not too much difference in CRR between the GP 4000S w/Latex and the GP 4-Season w/Latex, then one might just keep the GP 4-Season w/Latex on all year. But many people don't use latex, so the butyl results are valuable too.

Anyone know the real CRR for this tire with latex and butyl tubes?

Re: CRR for Conti Grand Prix 4-Season 700x23C 8 years, 1 month ago #25512

• AFM
  • Platinum Boarder
lewis3000us wrote:
I am looking for accurate CRR data for the Conti Grand Prix 4-Season 700x23C. Here is what I found so far, but I am not satisfied it is the final word:
1) The Continental site indicates that the tire is based on the GP 3000. But I don't know the improvements/differences. Also, there are size differences. Therefore assuming the results for the GP 3000 apply to the GP 4-Season is sketchy.
2) The following link says that the GP 3000 has a CRR of 0.0067: [url:36l2b8yp]biketechreview.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f...=+Season+conti#p7689[/url].
3) Rev 8 of the test data on Bike Tech Review indicates the Conti GP 3000 (20)/Butyl Tube has CRR of 0.00488: [url:36l2b8yp]www.biketechreview.com/tires/images/AFM_tire_testing_rev8.pdf[/url].
4) The following link indicates that the RennRad Magazine test about four years ago tested the Conti GP 4-Season, but the details on the tire & tube are not provided, and the results are not comparable to other tests: [url:36l2b8yp]biketechreview.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f...=+Season+conti#p6478[/url]. I could not find the actual test on the RennRad site and I don't speak German in any case!

Seems to me it would be valuable for many cyclists to know the real CRR for this tire (the 4-Season 700-23C) because it is extends the riding season permitting more training days. I used these tires last winter with success, but then switched back to normal tires (Conti GP 4000S 700x23C) when the rain stopped. It would be great to know the CRR in the case of both butyl and latex tubes. I say this because, if there is not too much difference in CRR between the GP 4000S w/Latex and the GP 4-Season w/Latex, then one might just keep the GP 4-Season w/Latex on all year. But many people don't use latex, so the butyl results are valuable too.

Anyone know the real CRR for this tire with latex and butyl tubes?

Hard to compare test results for different test hardware - different speeds, loading, roller diameter, etc... I went through an exercise a few years ago which indicated based on some assumptions that I was + or - 15% of the Continental numbers depending on whether they had corrected their results to a flat surface or not.

Haven't tested the Conti Grand Prix 4-Season 700x23C. I have tested the GP 4000S with latex tube. That model tire has the black chili (nano) rubber and rolls quite well ( ~ 0.00310) similar to the Michelin Pro Race 3 with latex tube. I would guess that the Grand Prix 4-Season would be slower - possibly similar to the GP 4000 with latex tube at ~ 0.00380. If they use the black chili compound in the Grand Prix 4-Season they may roll much better ?? These are for very smooth rollers - probably add ~ 25% for an average road surface ?? Also add ~ 10% for a butyl tube.

Hope that helps some.

Re: CRR for Conti Grand Prix 4-Season 700x23C 8 years, 1 month ago #25514

AFM,

Thanks for the detailed reply; yes this does help. I checked the Conti site and found this: [url]http://www.conti-online.com/generator/www/de/en/continental/bicycle/general/innovation/blackchili_en.html/url]. So it appears that the Black Chili compound is not used on the GP 4-Season.

You said, "I would guess that the Grand Prix 4-Season would be slower - possibly similar to the GP 4000 with latex tube at ~ 0.00380." I guess how the GP 4-Season compares to the GP 4000 you tested depends on which version you tested. I only say that because Continental indicates that the only version of the GP 4000 that they use Black Chili on is the black version. However, I also heard a rumor that older versions of even the black GP 4000 did not contain black chili, and I seem to remember that was the case when I bought my GP 4000ss last December. Probably I am splitting marketing hairs here.

So, do you figure the GP 4000 you tested contained the secret black chili compound?

Tom

Re: CRR for Conti Grand Prix 4-Season 700x23C 8 years, 1 month ago #25515

• AFM
  • Platinum Boarder
lewis3000us wrote:
AFM,

Thanks for the detailed reply; yes this does help. I checked the Conti site and found this: [url]http://www.conti-online.com/generator/www/de/en/continental/bicycle/general/innovation/blackchili_en.html/url]. So it appears that the Black Chili compound is not used on the GP 4-Season.

You said, "I would guess that the Grand Prix 4-Season would be slower - possibly similar to the GP 4000 with latex tube at ~ 0.00380." I guess how the GP 4-Season compares to the GP 4000 you tested depends on which version you tested. I only say that because Continental indicates that the only version of the GP 4000 that they use Black Chili on is the black version. However, I also heard a rumor that older versions of even the black GP 4000 did not contain black chili, and I seem to remember that was the case when I bought my GP 4000ss last December. Probably I am splitting marketing hairs here.

So, do you figure the GP 4000 you tested contained the secret black chili compound?

Tom

The GP 4000 S has the black chili compound. The GP 4000 tire was tested a few years ago before the black chili compound was released. I'd say train on the Grand Prix with butyl tube and race on the GP 4000 S with latex although there are faster tires out there.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.42 seconds

Poll

Which type of tire is more aerodynamic?