Username Password: Remember me

Crr Tests Including Pro Race 4 & Ultremo ZX
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Crr Tests Including Pro Race 4 & Ultremo ZX

Crr Tests Including Pro Race 4 & Ultremo ZX 5 years, 9 months ago #26909

• AFM
  • Platinum Boarder
A few new tire test results. As always Pressure = 120 psig. Results corrected for ambient temperature to a 68 F datum using 0.006% per degress F. No easy rolling discoveries in this batch.

Tire/tube, width (mm), Crr, Weight (grams), Notes

Schwalbe Ultremo ZX (23)/Mich latex 22/23, 23.5, 0.00292, 196, New Tire

Michelin Pro 4 (23)/Mich latex 18/20, 22.6, 0.00306, 205, New Tire

Mavic Yksion Power Link (23)/Mich latex 18/20, 22.9, 0.00313, 209, New Tire - Designated for Rear Wheel

Mavic Yksion GripLink (23)/Mich latex 18/20, 23.1, 0.00317, 211, New Tire - Designated for Front Wheel

Conti Gatorskin (23)/Mich latex 18/20, 23.8, 0.00375, New Tire

Mavic Aksion (25)/Mich latex 18/20, 23.9, 0.00360, 250, New Tire

Bontrager RXL All Weather (23)/Mich latex 22/23, 22.6, 0.00441, 229, New Tire

Mavic Yksion PowerLink tubular (23), 21.8, 0.00268, 272, New Tire – Designated for Rear Wheel

The Pro 4 rolls about the same as the both the Pro Race 3 and Pro Race 2 which is somewhat surprising ?? The tires however are becoming progressively more narrow. It will probably roll a tad better with a few miles as there was a lot of mold release on the rollers which is typical of Michelin. The Ultremo is decent but there are faster tires available. The Mavic Yksion clinchers and tubular are decent rollers but there are faster choices.

The Mavic Aksion, Conti Gatorskin, and Bonty RXL All Weather are durable training tires and do not roll very well. I’d expect that these tires would roll better with a few miles as they were quite stiff out of the box.

I have a Conti Gatorskin and Bonty RXL All Weather on training bikes and may test those in a few weeks. Also have a new Mavic GripLink tubular (23) (designated front) to test although using the theorem of least surprise it should roll very similar to the PowerLink tubular.
Last Edit: 5 years, 9 months ago by AFM. Reason: Clarify Front and Rear Wheel Note

Re: Crr Tests Including Pro Race 4 & Ultremo ZX 5 years, 9 months ago #26910

Thanks for the updates. Which version of the new Pro 4 did you test, Service Course, Comp SC, Comp Limited SC, Endurance?

I see you are using the 18/20 tube size for a lot of the larger tires. Have you verified if the tube size affects the Crr result at all?

Re: Crr Tests Including Pro Race 4 & Ultremo ZX 5 years, 9 months ago #26911

• AFM
  • Platinum Boarder
Pro 4 Service Course (actually supplied by JV, brother of JV (the other one)). Inside joke.

There was some data early on which seemed to suggest that the 18/20 Michelin latex tube was faster than the 22/23 Michelin latex tube but I'm not so sure. All the other latex tube manufacturers only offer one size spanning ~ 18 through 23 or so. The more narrow tubes are easier to install IMO.

Re: Crr Tests Including Pro Race 4 & Ultremo ZX 5 years, 8 months ago #26916

• jverheul
  • Fresh Boarder
There is another JV??

Re: Crr Tests Including Pro Race 4 & Ultremo ZX 5 years, 8 months ago #26919

• Jack Watts
  • Platinum Boarder
Thanks for posting, Al. Speaking of tires, one tire for which I don't think there any testing is the Zipp Tangente 700x23 tubular. I ran one of these yesterday, glued on to a FC404 with a million layers of glue. The tire was uses, probably 1000 miles, but the base tape was nice and clean, so I don't think that affected anything. Here are my numbers:

RXL Pro Clincher/Michelin Latex 700x23 23.4): .00314

Michelin Pro3/Vittoria Latex 700x23 (22.9): .00346

Zipp Tangente Tubular 700x23 (23.2): .00346

Needless to say, I was surprised it didn't do better. I'm going to test a new one later. According to this, it rolls slower than the 21? Obviously, my numbers are higher than yours, I'm guessing since we're on different rollers. I included the other tires as a reference. So, hopefully this helps some folks looking for data on this tire.

Re: Crr Tests Including Pro Race 4 & Ultremo ZX 5 years, 8 months ago #26921

• AFM
  • Platinum Boarder
jverheul wrote:
There is another JV??

Vaughters. Is this Jim or John ?? I guess there are 2 other JV's now. (

Re: Crr Tests Including Pro Race 4 & Ultremo ZX 5 years, 8 months ago #26922

• AFM
  • Platinum Boarder
Jack Watts wrote:
Thanks for posting, Al. Speaking of tires, one tire for which I don't think there any testing is the Zipp Tangente 700x23 tubular. I ran one of these yesterday, glued on to a FC404 with a million layers of glue. The tire was uses, probably 1000 miles, but the base tape was nice and clean, so I don't think that affected anything. Here are my numbers:

Needless to say, I was surprised it didn't do better. I'm going to test a new one later. According to this, it rolls slower than the 21? Obviously, my numbers are higher than yours, I'm guessing since we're on different rollers. I included the other tires as a reference. So, hopefully this helps some folks looking for data on this tire.

Thanks Jack,

Yeah I'm on PVC rollers which heat up so my results are always going to be a bit better.

Your results which always agree on a relative basis with mine show that the Tangente 23 tubular is slower than the Tangente 21 tubular that I tested. Even more puzzling is that the two 21's I tested were lightly glued. Not at all positive but Jordan Rapp kinda hinted that the Tangente tubulars may have changed to using shaped treads for better aerodynamics ?? The used 21's IIRC belonged to Jens which gives you and idea of how long ago they were tested. Maybe the thicker tread on the newer Tangente's explain the poor rolling resistance.

Re: Crr Tests Including Pro Race 4 & Ultremo ZX 5 years, 8 months ago #26926

• kraig
  • Administrator
Jack Watts wrote:

Just as a side note to make reference to repeatability of these Crr numbers across platforms/methods...

...in 2008 I tested a RXL 23mm clincher with a michelin 18/20 latex tube on my 4.5" aluminum kreitler rollers (data corrected to 25c tire temp) at 0.00245-ish or thereabouts. My clincher baseline veloflex 700x20c tire that Al has also tested (not the same one, though) comes in at 0.00190-ish or so.

...make of it what you will - but my takeaway is that Crr can change quite a bit on a relativistic basis depending on the exact tire you use and when it was produced as a function of tool-life.

YMMV,
-kraig

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.58 seconds

Poll

Which type of tire is more aerodynamic?